Popular Music in India
Light Music or Bhav Sangeet in India, basically refers to music that is popular with the common man and is meant for their entertainment. Various forms of light music can be appreciated by almost everyone as no special knowledge of music or expertise is required to understand such music.
Light Music or Bhav Sangeet is an important component of Indian Music. Bhav Sangeet in India has evolved and developed through the ages by people in various parts and regions of India. As you travel from North to South, you can hear and appreciate the various forms of music that have taken shape as a result of varying cultures, traditions and languages.
Each form of music in India has a unique flavour to it whether it is a bhajan or a film song. Rhythm, lyrics and tune etc form an important part of such light music.
Generally, Light music or Bhav Sangeet includes –
- Celebration songs for special occasions such as weddings (marriages)
- Songs for specific festivals & seasons such as ‘Holi’, ‘Basant’, ‘Lohri’, ‘Sawan’, etc.
- Film / Movie songs – Many films in India include semi classical songs as well.
- Songs played on the radio
- Religious songs – Bhajans, Kirtans
- Inspirational Songs
Light Music doesn’t necessarily require very strong technical detailing or dependence on ragas.
Want to add to this list – Forms of Light Music in India? Spotted an error? Email Us at firstname.lastname@example.org